In 1935 Evan and Nancy Evans moved from London into a new house in School Lane. The only church in Fetcham at that time was the Parish Church which did not suit these evangelical Christians. They gathered a few other believers and met in Takelys on Sundays for Breaking of Bread. Frank Napper and Leslie Mills joined and they became the first Elders and Trustees. They realised there was a need for a Non-Conformist Evangelical Church in Fetcham as the population was about to increase dramatically due to the housing boom.
After much prayer and sacrificial giving they were able to purchase a plot of land in Cannonside and soon started to build. Cannon Court Hall was opened in September 1936 and soon the congregation soared to 100 gathering to Break Bread and large numbers of Children to the Sunday School. The Sunday evening gospel services attracted many from around the area. The building was enlarged around 1940 when Canadian soldiers billeted locally would march down to the services and enjoy refreshments.
In 2011 there was a celebration for 75 years of Christian worship and witness at Cannon Court. This was a happy occasion when many believers who had moved away came to give thanks and renew friendships. The Lord has blessed the work over these years. Many have professed conversion, many baptised and many couples have married. A few were called to overseas mission.
Praise the Lord!
Tony shares his earliest memories and describes the beginnings of the church in 1936 explaining that Cannon Court was established because there was a need for an accessible church and an opportunity due to the growing population in Fetcham at the time.